UPDATE 12 JUNE 2013: PEPP 2013 IS CANCELLED. We invite you to attend instead the Global Plastics Summit, 4-6 November 2013 in Chicago, IL USA. Learn more
Industry Training Workshop — 17 June 2013
The intent of the industry training workshop is to broadly educate the participant in the petrochemicals and plastics industry through real-world examples of everyday products and through detailed take-home materials. These workshops are a one-of-a-kind opportunity to get acquainted with the most relevant concepts in these important polymer sectors. They quickly and effectively bring today’s businessperson up to speed with the terminology, technology and key cost elements in the supply chain.
In addition to course instruction, delegates will receive:
- A color copy of the presentation in a workbook, which includes a glossary and appendix
- Numerous networking opportunities, including continental breakfast, lunch, and morning and afternoon breaks
Certificates of course completion are available upon request.
Introduction to Bio-based Plastics & Chemicals Workshop
This workshop is taught by Dr. Mark Morgan, Managing Director Renewables, IHS Chemical.
With sustainability becoming a major demand driver within the global plastic industry, how well can companies in the Middle East serve the emerging market for bio-based polymers? This workshop will offer an in-depth exploration into the emerging industry of bio-based plastics and chemicals, from biomass processing through the key value chains to real world examples of everyday products.
This workshop is a new offering at PEPP, developed to serve chemical industry participants throughout the value chain from feedstock supplier, through production and conversion and on to compounding and fabrication. The workshop can also serve the needs of the financial community.
Topics will include:
- Industry overview and drivers from biomass feedstock to finished goods
- Feedstock markets, properties, and pricing
- Overlap with biofuels and renewable energy
- Market opportunity and global development potential
- Major process technologies and concepts
- Biomass processing
- Petrochemistry with biomass
- Syngas conversion with microorganisms
- Biorefinery concepts and process integration
- Impact of legislation
- Industry competitiveness
- Economic value chains
- Bioplastics and biodegradable polymers
- Engineering polymers
- Chemical intermediates
- The casualties of shale gas
- Key success factors in bio-based chemicals and plastics